1) Stability and comfort
2) Instability and variety
So wait … We want stability and comfort. That makes sense. A roof over our head. A steady stream of income in a job we know how to do. A caring girlfriend who is always there for us. But we also want variety. So we want to live in different places? Working new and exciting jobs? And experience many different women? It doesn’t make a lot of sense, does it? Or does it? This brings us to one of my favorite words; Balance. And with the two needs of stability and instability we always look for a balance. Too much stability and we end up in a place of boredom. Too much instability and we get nervous from anxiety, fear and stress.
What are some strategies to combat stability vs. instability paradigm?
In our health
1) This is by far the easiest to correct. If your workout is stale, change it up. Maybe you’re only lifting weights four days a week. Join a weightlifting team, start taking classes, or find a lifting partner. Visit meetup.com. There are groups for everything. And if there isn’t, you can start yours.
2) If you’re someone new to exercise, the biggest factor stopping us from continuing our new commitment to fitness is that we find it too painful. The gains (weight loss) don’t happen fast enough to justify the pain of exercising. For those of us who can’t seem to find our arrogance, we just have to keep trying different ways of sweating until we find something we like to do. Believe me when I say this. If you can find a sport or class, etc., that completely absorbs you in the activity, you will soon forget the pain.
In our jobs
1) Know that growth will be crucial in this area of our lives. We often make the mistake of feeling too comfortable in our work and then we turn around and realize how dissatisfied and lazy we have become. I’m not telling you to quit and start a business here, but to start looking for new challenges in your current job, or if they are not available, start looking for other job options.
2) If you have chosen the path of entrepreneur, actor, musician, etc., you should know that you are on a long-term path here and nothing happens overnight. This is a path of great variety and many ups and downs. Find a side job to give your life much-needed comfort. Your wallet and your stress levels will thank you.
In Our Relationships
1) This can be tricky. For this balance to work, a few key things are required. First, that both people in the relationship grow individually at an equitable rate. An entrepreneur dating a teacher is likely to present more challenges than an entrepreneur dating an actress. There is more variety in being an entrepreneur than in being a teacher, and more comfort and stability in being a teacher than an entrepreneur. Second, both people must offer support and stability while offering variety in the experience of relationships. Often times, relationships get boring over time because we fall into very predictable relationship patterns. If your occasional Netflix night turns into a Netflix weekend, then you know things need to be spiced up.
2) The need to spread the seed. This is a very real thing for men. After all, it is a built-in mechanism to ensure the continuation of our species. I will not go into details here. For more information, check out my blogs at Utopialifeonline.com