1. I currently use my wooden toy chest as shoe storage at my doorstep. My toddlers will search the shoes and find the matching pair. They will then close the lid of the toy chest and sit on it to start putting on their shoes.
2. You can put away your bed pillows right before bed. You know those pillows that you always throw at the end of the bed or to the side because you don’t really use them, they are just decorative pieces in your home. If you have a wooden toy chest that you can place a cushion on top of or in the lid opening, it would be the perfect decoration for any room in the house.
3. You can use a chest as a storage container for all your bags or purses. This is a great way to add some decoration and flair to your collection. You can get a look that matches your personality, or you can even throw a cloth or shawl over the toy chest. Toy chests come in different styles, such as boxed, traditional, classic, and even custom.
5. Men can keep all the different hats they collect that they won’t get rid of. My dad always collected hats throughout the many years of his life. He always says that he builds character and his accessories added just like women wear hair bows or earrings.
6. A great way to hide unwanted mail, newspapers, or even magazines is to place them in the toy chest for safekeeping. You can choose a small wooden toy chest and place it as a decorative piece in your kitchen, living room or even in the bathroom (instead of a magazine rack).
7. You can organize your clothes by season. You can change winter to spring or summer to fall by placing them in the wooden toy chest.
8. You can store your garden hose, garden shovels or planters. You can also save outdoor toys, such as sliders, plastic rakes, or shovels, and place them in your building and garage for use over the next year. If you have a fire pit in your backyard, a great way to have some extra company would be the toy chest. This adds a unique and convenient way to make marshmallows and s’mores.
9. You can create a place to store your memories, such as photos, albums, or even childhood memories. I know my kids get a lot of papers from art projects, coloring papers, and crafts they completed at school, this is something you can use as a keepsake. You can place your wedding album, CD’s, video’s or even the hospital bracelet from the birth of your child. This is the perfect keepsake chest!
10. Another great way to use your chest or toy chest is to remove the hinges from the top lid and make a clock to display on the wall. You can buy a watch fairly cheap at a local retail store. You can go to your local craft store and purchase arms and numbers to create your own clock design. I have found that Gorilla Glue is the best type of glue when working with wood products.
11. A fun way to display your little one’s hands and feet is to have them dip their feet in washable paint and apply their own design to the wooden toy chest. He can create his own masterpiece while preserving memories. This is a fun activity to get your children involved. Every time you look at the masterpiece you have created, it will bring you back to that moment in time.
12. Finally, you can chop it up and use it for firewood in the winter or even in your campfire in the summer. Before this, try donating it to your neighbor’s children or to a local Goodwill.
There are a variety of ways you can use the wooden toy chest in your home whether your toddler has outgrown it or you’re looking for a unique way to store items that won’t look cluttered.
My favorite and most creative way to repurpose your wooden toy chest is to remove the top lid from the hinges and glue a mirror around the inner layer. You can add flowers for a nice additional decoration. You can hang the top at the entrance of the house or at the bottom of the stairs. Place the base of the trunk below and add a beautiful potted plant for a stylish look.